Thursday, August 11, 2011

Tiny Limbs are Breaking Thin

A short piece I wrote as a part of a uni class exercise.

I visioned a bunch of limbs walking down a hallway, falling and then somebody catching them. I suppose it reflects a few things that have happened lately. The interesting thing about this piece is that I didn't have an idea when I started it, but simply a line which I included in the title of this post. By using several experimental writing practices I came up with some great lines and the image for the piece was created.
Great idea's come from the most absurd places, I think that no matter what image/line I came up with there were certain themes that were going to invade my writing. Enjoy

----------------------------------------------
What was that? the tiny limbs they thump and pound, clomp, clomp, clomp. Dancing through the hallway smiling eagerly at pictures of smaller years goodbye. They stumble forward in graceful balance, wrapped up in wool, yet strangely the sun was still shining. 
Spotlight, look away. I can see all of you now, but blinded I am by my own reflection. It's cheeky you know, always telling the truth when all I hear are lies climbing from so-called friends mouths and tainting everything I eat. 

Tiny specks, follicles pinching the skin, itching away until the limbs are so fine. Draped in cloth for the daily routine, hiding perfection so no one can see the stories it tells. 

The sentimental limbs break evenly over time, over time all the heaviness of them climbs on. Clobber, clobber little hands, tiny feet, wings on the edge, falling over the edge and tripping over the weight. Slipping jaggedly through the time it takes us to fall.

The wings have limbs.

White as they fall, out like a light, all we see is white. Limbs they fall.
Clear, tiny and broken. The shadow tells all- the scant figure on the boards, spewing white in hope to return like the limbs before. 

Weight, wait. The fingers of time he was waiting on the line, sitting bright in that shadow waiting for the flaws and the floors, shaping time to catch her limbs in time. Fumbles and falls just like before, but he claps hands around hands and catches the wings. Saving the limbs just in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment