Wednesday, July 13, 2011

It's not a gang, it's a family.




This year for uni I have to make a short video. The brief is pretty open, in fact I do believe that you can do whatever the hell you want. I chose to try and challenge myself by doing something I've never done before- Documentary.

I am quite interested in youth subcultures so I thought it was a good place to start. I originally wanted to cover my friends band as they toured and built up their ever-growing fan base. Unfortunately the band broke up earlier this year. I'm absolutely KICKING myself I didn't document the break up because it probably would have made for great viewing.

Through a few friends I started to learn a little more about the Sydney 'scene'- that is the hardcore/metal scene (it's a little hard to define and you'll understand more once you've seen the video). After interviewing a few people I soon become more interested in the straight edge scene in Sydney.

Straight edge is a sub culture that prides itself on living a 'clean' lifestyle. That is no drinking, no smoking no drugs. This can even extend to promiscuous sex, prescription drugs and vegetarianism. After speaking to and filming a few hardcore straight edge guys I knew I learnt of a gang of guys called 9lc.
9lc aren't really a gang, they are a group of guys from all different stereotypes- metal, hardcore, lad, straight edge and even skinhead. Despite conflicting morals and opposing lifestyles, these boys view each other as a family and would quite literally do anything for those who are involved in the group.

The video below is a Trailer for what will be a short documentary focusing on how this group functions together in what can at times be a very fickle and judgemental scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment